Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Code of Ethics

While looking online to find more information on Physical Therapy I came across the "Code of Ethics for the Physical Therapist" written and put together by the American Physical Therapy Association. While skimming over the code of ethics one section jumped out at me most.

 Physical therapists shall respect the inherent dignity and rights of all individuals
(Core Values: Compassion, integrity)

This section goes on to talk about respecting everyone no matter their religion, race, nationality, etc. and mentions that Physical therapists should recognize their own biases and not discriminate against others in their own field of practice and their education.
What made this section jump out at me the most is how I can relate my own beliefs and ethics to it. I find it offensive when people discriminate against others because they are of different ethnicity, religion, race, etc. I could go on forever. We are all human and deserve to be treated equally.

 I also like how they put the word Compassion in their Core Values. I believe that in order to become a good Physical Therapist or become good at any occupation in the medical field one needs to have compassion.  How can you try and help someone when you do not have the desire to alleviate their suffering. You can't! In my Kinesiology class I was taught that you need the three "C"s when taking care of a victim. They are Confidence, Competence, and Compassion. Compassion relates to many fields of study and it is a big key to your success, and the success of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment